Friday, December 16, 2011

Wedding Dress Shopping: An International Affair

When we say this is an international wedding, we don't just mean the location. Even the finer details such as the wedding dress hunt has turned into an international ordeal with the search spanning 3 countries, Switzerland, England and the US.

First Stop: Zurich with my maid of honor July 2011
Just a week or two after the engagement, Katie was visiting from Wisconsin. I wasn't mentally ready to start looking for dresses but I couldn't pass up having the experience with my best friend. It was a laugh of a day. I tried on some massive ball gowns with the tightest corset! This is an Italian wedding my friend, I need some room to 'expand' that evening as we eat the 5 course meal!! Not to give anything away, but I will not be wearing a princess poofy dress to the wedding. But apparently here in Switzerland "it's what most people want."

Second Stop: Buffalo NY with my mom, sister and nieces August 2011
This was a quick trip to NY and I really wanted to have the wedding dress shopping experience with my family as well. The store was very crowded and it was hard to even look in the mirror. We were quick to discover that my tastes are greatly different to that of my mom and sister! My youngest niece, Skyler gave me thumbs up on all the dresses. I did not find anything I loved here either.

Third Stop: London 2 days, one solo and one with Rachel, September 2011
I started liking the dresses better in London but I never had the 'aha' moment. I started thinking that maybe I wasn't one that would get emotional when I found the dress. I learned that I don't have conventional taste in wedding dresses and wanted something a bit different. I was thinking about picking one of my two favorites in London but I was heading to the states soon and I wanted to wait until after that trip before making a decision.

Fourth and final lucky stop Bonita Springs, FL with Kimmie and Stefanee, September 30th, 2011
I was heading to Florida to see all my best high school friends and to see one of them, Allison get married in a beautiful beach wedding. My friend, Kim is getting married a few weeks before me. She had a dressed picked out but it was discontinued before she ordered (fate) so I had asked her if she wanted to look with me while we were in town. My flight was canceled but I remained calm as I waited for 3 hours to get rebooked. I had a really good feeling, I was going to get to Florida because not only was I not missing Allison's wedding but I knew I was going to find my dress there. I booked the appointments one after the other and our friend Stefanee (Kim's maid of honor) set off to the store. We ran through the store and picked out what we wanted to try on. I got extremely excited when I saw one I had fallen in love with online. It was a brand new design so none of the other stores I had visited had the dress. I tried on similar dresses to the two I liked in London and had the same feeling, really really like but no feeling. Then the third dress I put on was the one I had been eying online. I really really liked this one and as I looked in the mirror and Kim was like, that is really cool, can I try it on? And at the moment I was like, "I don't know, I think this might be it!" Then I got a bit teary eyed and then so weak in the knees that I had to step off the pedestal to make sure I didn't fall over. That was it, nice and quick at this store. I sat in the dress as Kim tried on her dresses. She found the one that day too! The best thing, my sample was brand new, it fit and they let me walk out of the store with it that day so I didn't have to worry about how I was going to get it to me in Switzerland!

It's weird to have my dress sitting in my closet here. I wasn't expecting it so soon. They scare you into ordering them so early, it's a hurry up and wait game that I don't have to play. Every time I see it, I get so excited for August. It's exactly perfect and I'm hoping to blow him away :)

No comments:

Post a Comment