Sunday, April 10, 2011

Time to start getting settled

Wow! I can't believe how quickly time is passing. Since the last post we've been turning Saturdays into shopping for furniture days, had a work trip to London, joined the gym, opened a bank account, got a cell phone number, oh and got an APARTMENT!!

So big news first, we've found a place to live!  The 'potential view and neighborhood' pictures in my last post is in fact our new neighborhood. Thank goodness as it's getting more and more difficult to keep my stuff tidy living out of a suitcase. (Mariano is much tidier than me so I feel a bit guilty...hehe not that guilty). We never took pics of the inside but we get the keys on Thursday so stay tuned! We will have much more space. It has 3 bedrooms. Enough to have a guest room, so start booking your visits! The third room will be an office but we'll put his futon/couch in there now if we have extra guest space if needed. It has two balconies, one small off the kitchen and one large overlooking the river and castle walls. I hope to try my hand at gardening on the small one off the kitchen....so domesticated of me. I'm not so confident in my green thumb but it could lead to some entertaining post later on. We placed our main furniture orders this weekend so hopefully the place won't be empty for long.

Work has been going crazy but well. The woman I was replacing left last Thursday so I'm really learning by doing now. When it's a tough day, I just look outside and the view is calming. Plus the other day legit Swiss horns were playing some where off in the distance. Is this real life? Riiiiiiccccccoooooolaaaaa. I really like my team. Mark, a Northern Irelander and Luca an Italian are my full time peeps and then we have two trainees in the office as well. We get along well although, the boys exchange looks when I answer the phone too loud or too cheery. I am loud on the phones I told them, even other Americans thought so! Ha! I'm coming from a sales floor that's loud and you have to compete. That's not really it. I blame my teachers from grade school who threw me in speech class because I didn't speak up loud enough. I was just a shy kid and now I overemphasize my volume to compensate. I am trying to keep an eye on the level though, but I think the boys will have to deal with me being pleasant on the phone :).

I had my first work trip up to London two weeks ago. I spent a Monday/Tuesday there and met my colleagues in the London office, checked out a couple of hotels and did a guided sightseeing to get a feel for how they operate as it's one of the components that fall under my responsibilities. It's crazy that I had only been in a non English speaking country for one week at the time and it was so relieving to be surrounded by English again. It's not that you can't get by with English in Lucerne, I just do so with a hinge of guilt for not understanding any German. Also, it was so nice to be in a CITY...things opened around the clock and just the general amazing vibe I get in a big city. I was able to meet up with my Aussie friend Rachel for dinner while I was there too. I hope to be seeing more of her and the City.

I will send out my contact details shortly. For now, it's time for bed. Buonanotte!

I will leave you with this...a picture of the 3 remaining flowers that Mariano gave me when I arrived in Lucerne, 3 weeks ago. I seriously have never had fresh flowers last so long!



No comments:

Post a Comment